Monday, March 21, 2011

Question of the day...How was your Spring Break?

Before you have the chance to ask me, let me tell you. My spring break was great. But let me back up...

The week before last, as teachers asked if students had prayer requests, many responded. The supply of requests was not unusual to me but, it was the content that struck me uncomfortable. It was one of those moments where that sweet conviction sets in, like my desires were not aligned with Christ's. I just had to stop and listen to what the Lord was pressing on my heart. 

Then it hit me, why are we only praying for safety during travel and a good, relaxing time? Is that all we want out of Spring Break? 

A few Sunday's past, my Pastor Johnny challenged us to think about what would happen if we prayed an hour everyday for the service on Sunday, wouldn't we be excited to come and see what in the world God was going to do? That same idea resonated in my heart when I thought about Spring Break. What if we prayed everyday the week before spring break and during it, too, that God would open up our eyes and let the Spirit move; wouldn't be we anticipating and looking for something better than safety? 

I had to change the way I prayed that day. It was a conviction I have been feeling lately reaffirmed. I don't want to pray for safety all the time. I don't want to love my life so much that I am not willing to lose it for the sake of the gospel. I want reckless abandonment. I want relationships to grow to new depths, I want to learn more about God's creation and the suffering that is occurring, but also how Christ is Lord even in the midst of the sadness and harsh realities of this place. I want to be like Paul, but yet like the woman in Proverbs 31.

So, I prayed to God that my eyes would be opened to new things and that relationships would grow to new depths. As a result, my Spring Break was great because it turns out it was God's timing to answer those prayers.

Just thought I would share my heart.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good thoughts.....confirms what our Sm. Group has studied this month. CRAZY LOVE is the study book by Francis Chan.
He quotes "People who are OBSESSED with Jesus aren't consumed with their personal safety and comfort...Obsessed people care more about God's Kingdom....than their own lives being shielded from pain or distress." "We are consumed by safety." "Obsessed with it. We've elevated safety to the neglect of whatever God's best is, whatever would bring God the most glory, or....accomplish His purposes in our lives and in the world." Just a bit of confirmation on what you wrote on your blog on March 21.Grams B

Joanna said...

Thanks Gram! I actually have that quote written on a sticky note next to my bed :)

tccedprof said...

Now I know you are busy! No updates for 10 days! :)