Thursday, June 3, 2010

Where the Wild Things Are

Watching the film Where the Wild Things Are evoked an emotion that I was not expecting. It put me in the shoes of a parent who hurt the feelings of their child. It also brought me back to the emotions I experienced as a kid; not knowing how to channel the feelings of loneliness and fear.

If you have not seen the movie, in the end the mother has this look in her eyes, like she is overwhelmed by the love she has for her son and drained from the discipline.

As a son or a daughter there is an unexplainable pain when the one person who loves you the most and says they never want to hurt you does. But, watching that movie helped me to see the other side of the story, discipline or fighting is sometimes just has painful for the parent.

Although it was a good movie, I walked away feeling down. It made me feel bad about the day I will hurt the feelings of my child or misread their calls for attention as bad behavior. I can only hope that my judgment will be right and my patience will be plentiful.

No comments: